13 November 2008

southpark studios & convergence?

For my screening assignment, I choose to catch the South Park episode I missed titled "Elementary School Musical". When I went to the website, SouthParkStudios.com I the first thing that caught my eye was a strip of images linked to clips of different episodes this season entitled "What Fans Are Watching". To the right of that are links telling you to "Watch New Episode", "Play South park Games", use 'South Park scene mixer", and an advertisement for '"Need For Speed: Undercover" video game. The episode was surprisingly not interrupted with advertisements telling me to buy this video game that comes out 11.18.08; although it had links around the entire screen.
Taking from what Henry Jenkins talks about in his piece about Convergence Culture, I couldn't help but see the parallels in the narrative of the episode. The episode was a satirical in nature, it parodied the High School Musical movies. Linking the Disney movies to the comedy central cartoon show, the episode displayed "a flow of content across multiple media platforms". I feel like it is convergence because the episode actually makes me want to watch the High School Musical movies now to see what its all about, as the characters did. This factor I believe is essential to convergence being a legitimate phenomenon. The participatory culture allows this type of convergence to exist. Right?

No comments: